Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

THANKS FOR WARNING ME ABOUT THE HEAT...
I am in Miami. It is October. It must be thirty-five degrees down here. That's what - the high nineties? Good God Almighty! It's nearly Christmas and it's this hot?
Anyway, I'm here to do an event at Books& Books in Coral Gables, a bookstore that has the well-earned reputation as one of the finest independent bookstores in the country.
I flew out of Atlanta early this afternoon, and found myself back in Florida. I came here at the beginning of 2007 when Jon (my editor) and I arrived with the Channel 4 film crew to make the little documentary piece for the Richard & Judy Book Club. So here I am, the better part of three years later, arriving in Florida to promote the same book, but this time to an American readership.
The one thing I have been routinely surprised and pleased about is the level of acceptance I have encountered in the States. I had so many years of difficulty trying to get a British publisher to publish an American novel, and I even tried some American publishers...all to no avail. But when it comes to the readers...well, it seems they don't give a damn where you come from. They're just interested in a good story, and that's all there is to it. That's a sentiment I can agree with wholeheartedly.
Anyway, Coral Gables it is, 7.00pm at Books & Books, and I'm going to be there...hope some of you are too!
Best wishes,
Roger.

No comments: